Next has been awarded the contract for the refurbishment of the former Redfern Post Office, which will become a functional design studio and office space for DKO Architecture.
“We are looking forward to delivering this project for one of Australia’s leading design practices and to revitalising this heritage significant building, which is a landmark in Redfern,” said Next Founder & CEO, Joseph Di Girolamo.
A dominant 19th century public building, the Post Office is located at 119 Redfern Street and was associated with the rapid growth of the Redfern Municipality and the need to provide services to the local residents.
The building was designed by Colonial Architect, James Barnet in the Victorian Italianate style of architecture. According to the NSW Environment and Heritage Department plans for "the new post office included a telegraph office, parlour, drawing room, three bedrooms, kitchens, servants’ room, bathroom scullery, washhouse fuel shed and two stall stables".
The tower with the four clock faces was added to the plans before they were put out to tender. The Post Office was completed in 1883 for a cost of £3692.
Over the years the interior of the Post Office underwent extensive changes particularly on the ground floor where larger public areas and mail room facilities were installed. However, the original fabric and layout remain.
Next’s refurbishment of the building will involve incorporating new modern features internally over the two floors of office space while retaining the heritage features of the building.
Next will remove all non-sympathetic architectural alterations and additions made to the internal layout of the building including the light weight walls and outdated amenities and externally will make good the heritage façade. All services will be upgraded to current BCA standards.
The project is scheduled for completion in September this year.